Nan Yang Public School, the predecessor of Xi’an Jiaotong University established a secondary educational institution since its foundation, whose original function was to serve as a feeder school in order to provide the university with qualified students. In 1908, the secondary educational institution changed its name into the high school, which was renowned for its outstanding students. In spite of several changes later in the school, the fine traditions had been handed down. After the migration from Shanghai , Xi’an Jiaotong University was established in 1956. In July, 1959, the education department of Shaanxi decided to take the former Xi’an No. 44 High School, near Jiaotong University as the High School Affiliated to Jiaotong University ( Xi’an ). Later Xi’an Jiaotong University gives great supports to the high school in teachers and equipment, which pushed the development of the school. Due to the historical reasons, the High School Affiliated to Xi’an Jiaotong University had been put into ownership of High School of Xi’an with the name of Xi’an No. 83 High School in 1971. A decade later, with the aim of carrying forward the history and coinciding with the development of Xi’an Jiaotong University, the Party committee of Xi’an Jiaotong University submitted an application to Military of Education of PRC, who later accepted the application and allocated a special fund to rebuild the High School Affiliated to Xi’an Jiaotong University. The new high school developed from the harsh environment. At the very beginning, the school only enrolled junior students (Grade 1). In 1987, the school had 6 grades and developed into a full-day school with a certain scale and high educational level. Four years later, the High School Affiliated to Xi’an Jiaotong University was awarded the title of the Key High School both in Shaanxi Province and in Xi’an City. Afterwards, with the continuous development, the school had become a renowned school with its outstanding achievements and educational features.
In 1896, authorized by the government, Sheng Xuan-huai who was a very famous official in the Qing Dynasty established Nanyang Public School in Shanghai. He invited Dr. Fox from the United States as the Deputy-principal in the following year. In the spring of 1898, Nanyang Public School established middle school, in the charge of Mr. Wang Zhi-yuan. The source of students was not only from the primary school of itself but also from the society. And the courses included Chinese, Math, Natural Science, Physics, English, Chemistry, and Economics etc. Except the Natural Science, all of the other courses were taught in English. At that time, the middle school is the main part of Nanyang Public School. In the summer of 1904, the high prep school was set up in the middle school. In 1909, the middle school and the high prep school were changed into high school, and the title of “middle school” was abolished. Most of the graduates from the middle school continued their future study all over the world, such as UK, America, and Japan.
PartIIDevelopment of Nanyang High School
In 1909, Nanyang High School, also called affiliated high school, carried out the educational system of five years; and in 1912, changed into four years. The principal Tang Wen-zhi focused on the school’s development and put forward the moral rules of honesty, perseverance, shame, aspiration, manners, fairness and diligence for students. The school motto then was “diligence, frugality, respect and honesty”. The school developed quickly and the number of its graduates increased rapidly, for example, 86 graduates in 1920. For its excellent achievements, Nanyang High School was famous in the south China then and also became well-known in China.
PartⅢChanged School System
In 1927, the former Nanyang University Affiliated Middle School and High School was restructured to Private Nanyang Model School due to its outstanding education. In the next year, Shanghai Nanyang University was renamed of the 1st Jiaotong University Affiliated to Jiaotong Communication Ministry of China. In 1956, the school became a public school and was the key school in Shanghai.
In 1956, Jiaotong University was migrated west from Shanghai. In 1959, the Education Department of Shaanxi Province decided that the 40th High School of Xi’an next to the Jiaotong University would be the affiliated high school of Xi’an Jiaotong University (XJTU for short). XJTU gave great support to its affiliated high school on the aspect of the staff and equipment. The president of XJTU Mr. Peng Kang paid attention to the development of high school. His idea of “think actively, study hardly and live optimistically” inspired the growth of teenagers. And the High School Affiliated to XJTU became famous in Xi’an and developed rapidly. In 1971, the school became a public school which was in the charge of Xi’an government.
In 1981, due to the development need of XJTU, the Party Committee of XJTU reported to the Education Ministry of China to rebuild its affiliated high school. After more than 20 years’ development, the High School Affiliated to XJTU has been one of the top schools in Xi’an and Shaanxi Province with advanced school-running experiences.
PartⅥThe Key High School
After its rebuilt, the High School Affiliated to Xi’an Jiaotong University has faithfully observed the educational concept that following the tenet of education, cultivating students as basis, building sound characters, and improving qualities. Students’ development in an all-round way and in their whole life has been stressed for a long time. In recent years, the school not only achieves well in all kinds of standard examination, but also fruitful results in competitions of different subjects. It was honored by the education authorities with the title of the key high school of Xi’an and Shaanxi.
PartⅦThe New Campus
In order to create the national model high school and make the study environment much better for students, in December, 2006, the school made the important decision to set up two campuses, the middle school campus and the high school campus. With the strong support from XJTU, the new campus which locates in the QuJiang district was put into practice in August, 2007. On 1st, Sep. 2008, all the senior students moved into the new campus and our school stepped into a new stage of development.
The High School Affiliated to Xi’an Jiaotong University has faithfully observed the educational concept that following the laws of quality-oriented education. Students’ development in an all-round way and in their whole life has been stressed for a long time. The idea that having all students enjoys the process of learning is advocated by the school. The educational goals of the school are to cultivate students to be people of great virtues, responsibilities, creative spirits, leadership, international horizons and moral integrity. This will surely open a new page for the development of our school.